XT2 & Lenses in extreme cold weather

Hi Everyone

I’ll be travelling next week from Minneapolis, Minnesota to Fargo, North Dakota and ofcourse taking photos.
Temperatures lately have dropped up to -28°C ( -18 F ) and are ofcourse a real concern atm.

Since it will be a road story we’ll be getting in and out of warm/cold all of the time.
I know about zip locking your camera gear going from cold to warm to slowly warm up your material and avoid condensation problems for example.

I just wanted to check people’s experiences here in these conditions, talking batteries, sensors, electronics lenses acting up in this crazy weather.

So all tips x tricks are very welcome !

Thanks in advance

Hey Jan,

Got some very cold (up to -40°c) sessions while skiing and shooting with the 55-200mm non WR, 16mm WR and 23mm WR. For what it’s worth, here’s some advice and things I noticed:

LENS

• Let’s be direct, the 55-200mm does not like cold at all :rofl: but it survive :slight_smile:
  • The 16mm was doing well until it stays outside of the car or within the cars’ trunk, as soon as they got inside it was full of fog.
  • The 23mm was doing much better even going inside and outside a lot, I suppose this is coming from the small glass/form factor, less metallic elements.

In most cases, people only check temperatures, however, the important metrics here is the dew point, if the dew point is below the temperature then you should not have any issue. When air cools to its dew point through contact with a surface that is colder than the air, water will condense on the surface. In case of extreme cold the dew point is barely the same or below the air temperature which means you should be fine.

BATTERY
It’s a nightmare, mirrorless camera batteries are not designed to operate in extreme cold, they become empty very quickly and, funny things, get back some power as soon as you put them in your pocket :slight_smile:. Best advice is to have several batteries and keep them close to your own body under your coat.

ELECTRONICS
Never change your lens outside or until the camera is at normal temperatures, you could bring frog, or even worse, frost, on the sensor. Battery can be changed until it’s protected from snow/water.

Anyway, if you can avoid thermal shock to your equipment it will thank you :wink:. I can only recommend having silica gel, put them in a box and then put your camera in this box each time you are in the car until it warms up.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
Knowing you made it dealing with even harsher conditions is uplifting :slight_smile:
I’ll take your advice and def take those silica gels as well.

Cheers !

Jan