Workflow with Lightroom Mobile

Anyone here using Lightroom Mobile?

Now when I want to post something to Instagram, I add the photo to a synchronized collection, open on LR Mobile and export from there.

I also tried getting the SD card from the camera and using a USB-C OTG dongle to transfer the files to the phone, open in LR Mobile and it works fine. Even with RAW (well, I never tried with Fuji RAF, Leica uses DNG).

After I started doing this, I’m getting used to LR Mobile and its lack of resources to the point where I’m becoming very lazy to edit on my computer. Well, I’m not a professional photographer, if I were a pro, probably I’d be using a more capable software.

What are your thoughts on LR Mobile?

After Adobe updated Lightroom mobile back in April, I use it to edit all of the photos I take on my Pixel 2. Whenever I post something to my story I usually pass it through LR mobile. (Unless I’m reaaaly lazy)

My workflow from camera to Instagram is like yours, edit in Classic, sync to LR Mobile then download from there. If I’m only putting the images in my feed I also use a program called Grids (suggested my Scott Kelby) that runs on the computer then it’s very easy to post to Instagram. https://grids-for-instagram.en.softonic.com/

Ii am using Lightroom Mobile on the Ipad Pro and since its last upgrade (more to come) I find I can really do a complete raw process but when i have to go further I know it is in sync with my Macbook Pro and my Desktop Macs for any additional work I want to do. I have the Adobe package with LR cc classic, Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC, The eco system really is a one of a kind as no one else to my knowledge makes it this easy.

What I don’t like about Mobile is that it only saves as a Jpeg file when a Tiff or Png would be preferable. But the raw process is synced which lets me go back to the computer and work on the raw file again.

But I think it is great.

My workflow with Lightroom Mobile:
1: Import to Photos App in iOS
2: Import into Lightroom Mobile
3: Edit images
4: Attempt to sync to computer, sync gets stuck at 12% after about 4 hours
5: Delete photos off iPad
6: Re-import into Lightroom Classic on computer and start again

Lightroom Mobile has always been a source of frustration for me, which is a shame because Adobe have put so much time and effort into it. It’s a great user experience, right up until I need to consolidate the images from the mobile app into my main catalog on my desktop. Because the iOS ecosystem is so heavily controlled, there is no way to send files back out of the app except to sync through an internet connection, which is excruciatingly slow, and for this reason I have never successfully completed a sync. I’m not sure if the Android version has this limitation, but I assume it is the same.

I’m sure the next update to the iPad will address this issue, but I don’t have the patience to wait, hence I recently purchased a notebook as my main computer.

I do 99% of my editing on LR mobile, because I used to have a very slow laptop and it was a pain in the ass to use LR on it. Now I have a much better desktop computer but I got in the habit of working on my phone that I just stuck to it. It’s also great to be able to work on the photos no mater where I am, whether in a coffeeshop, at work, or long train rides.

Here’s my workflow if you’re interested:

1. import to LR classic
  2. I use X-Transformer to convert RAF to DNG
  3. Apply just some basic sharpening
  4. Sync the photos I like to LR mobile
  5. Edit
  6. final check of the edits on desktop
  7. export on LR mobile and post to IG

(I don’t always do step 6, only if I really like the photo and maybe want to get it printed eventually. Otherwise I just edit and export on mobile)