Uploading to Instagram without compression

A question that often comes is how to avoid horrible Instagram compression when uploading an image.

Instagram uses an algorithm that determines if they need to compress and resize your file, it’s based only on your file dimension: Read more in their guidelines

To make it short you have to remain in the following max size and ratio in your image:

• Square: MAX 1080px width / MAX 1080px height
  • Portrait: MAX 1080 width / MIN 566px - MAX 1350px height
  • Landscape: MAX 1080px width / MIN 566px - MAX 1350px height
  • Ratio: should be within 1.91:1 and 4:5

I won’t go over image compression stuff as it depends on which tools you are using. Anyway if you follow the above rules, you won’t need to compress your jpg.

Hope this helps!

Uploading image to Facebook without compression

You mean 1350px height :slight_smile:
Thanks for those infos Mickael!

Oops, corrected :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip! :slight_smile:

Thanks Mike! Great tip.

I use Lightroom to develop and organize my files, since I edit them before posting them to IG I have created some Lr Templates to use on the Print Module.

This set includes 3 variations + Stories:

• IG Square format (1080 x 1080)
  • IG Vertical (1080x1350) with borders.
  • IG Vertical (1080x1350) with no side borders.
  • IG Stories (16:9 ratio)

All of them are exported as JPEGS, 72 dpis.

Feel free to download them here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6K8FBBVsw3KM2otZFBhcWN5WkU?usp=sharing

Any suggestion is welcomed.

:slight_smile:

PS:
When exported, they look like this:

Square Format

Vertical Format
With Borders

Horizontal
With Borders

IG Stories 16:9
Both versions are cropped to fit.

Coming from Lightroom - features and tips

Thanks for sharing. Will try them out.

Great tip! Thx. I always used SquareIt.app Untill now I guess

Awesome Alex, thanks for the templates!

this is fantastic, thanks guys!

Thank you for the templates, Sir.

Glad you liked them. :smiley: Are they being useful? How have they worked for you?

Hey there, so I use Lightroom mobile to edit my RAF files and then edit in vsco if I wanted to put an additional filter. When I export it, using the regular 3:2 ratio, does instagram compress it? What about when you use the LR Instagram plugin for uploads??

Thanks so much!

Been using them since my above post. They work a treat.

Hi Kel,
If you don’t use the export size specified above or don’t use Alex export settings, it will be compressed.

Hey Mike,

The thing is, the LR mobile and VSCO doesn’t have export settings… just aspect ratio.

On the ratio, did you mean 5:4 and not 4:5?

Thanks for the reply

It’s depend if the photo u took it’s in vertical or in horizontal
But if u use ur phone or tablet it’s better if u download instafit the app let u select diferents borders styles and u can replicate the templates someone publish here that require Lightroom on a computer

Hey Kel,

Ah you mean on the mobile version?
If yes, you have no choice on sizing unfortunately.

All the best,

Thank you for sharing!

@alex.rds These are really helpful templates. I was considering how to place a border around my images this week and considered using the print module. I wanted something I could easily batch export through the regular LR export dialogue box. I ended up creating a preset using the LR/Mogrify 2 plug-in.
https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify2.php. It took a little bit of math to figure out how to get the job done with the borders but I’ve found this process much more streamline than moving to the print module.

In the attached example I only have the top and bottom borders placed, but there are all kinds of configurations that are possible.