Uploading image to Facebook without compression

We already see that it’s possible to avoid Instagram image compression but what about a way to avoid Facebook image compression?

Facebook nearly uses the same algorithm as Instagram to determine if they need to compress and/or resize your images, Facebook goes a bit deeper than Instagram by checking file dimensions but also removing some useless (to them) metadata.
To add in complexity, Facebook is using different types of image: profile photos, cover photos, highlighted images, shared links, shared images, event images, etc. You also have to handle those differently if you are on a Page or on a Profile …

Important, it must be kept in mind that image displayed on Feed and Page are always scaled down, the full size is used only when in “full-screen mode”, but if you stay within the numbers below they won’t be compressed.

Profile Picture: 180 x 180 px (max. 100 KB*)

Cover Photo: 820 x 310 px (max. 100 KB*)
(i) Smartphone display: 640 x 360 px

Highlighted image: 1200 x 717 px (max 100 KB*)
(i) Page’s display: 843 x 504 px

Shared Link: 1200 x 627 px (max 100 KB*)
Feed’s Display
(i) Square images: Min. 154 x 154 px
(i) Rectangular images: Min. 470 x 246 px
Page’s Display
(i) Square images: Min. 116 x 116 px
(i) Rectangular images: Min. 484 x 252 px

Shared Image: 1200 x 630 px (max 100 KB*)

Event Image: 1920 x 1080 px (max 100 KB*)
(i) Feed display: 470 × 174 px
(i) Highlighted Image: 1200 x 717 px

*Max 100 KB: any images bigger than 100 KB will be compressed by Facebook.
That could be challenging on such dimensions but there are great tools to handle compression, one of my favorites is JpegMini Pro

Facebook owns another set of rules dedicated to Ads, I won’t go over the full specs as they have so many. You can get them all on their Business Ads Guide image section.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

Cheers,
Mickael

So it’s better to share images as 1200px instead of 2048px? Thanks for putting up this list! I’m sure it will help a lot of people.

Correct Samuel, the biggest size used by FB is 1200 px, the only exception is in case of Event pages where you can go up to 1920 px.

Anyway the hardest part is to stay within the 100 KB limitation, which is pretty annoying…

Thanks for the info Mike.

Is is better to use smaller dimensions ie. 1000px max width, and keep under 100kb file-size - to ensure a higher quality image?

It really depends on where you want your image to be displayed, but you’re right, the most important rule is to be under 100kb. Above 100kb FB will drastically compress your image.
Techwyse has published a very welcome infographic to help understand Facebook image sizing :slight_smile: