Hello there! I'm Timothy Hoang from DFW, TX

Hello there!

Thanks for inviting me zellersamuel.

I’m Timothy Hoang and I am a hobbyist photographer. I switched to Fuji from Canon in January 2018 and have been more than satisfied with the switch. I enjoy photography much more and my photos have become better as a result. I mostly shoot architecture and automotive right now and occasionally astro, street, and portrait. I also shoot and develop film as well. I am based in DFW, TX so if any other Fuji shooters nearby wanna hang, feel free to hit me up. I look forward to seeing y’all’s work and interacting with y’all here.

You can find me on instagram here: @timothy_hoang

https://www.instagram.com/timothy_hoang

Gear I’m currently using:

• X-T2

• 18-55mm f/2.8-55

• 7artisans 25mm f/1.8

• Mitakon 35mm f/0.95

• 56mm f/1.2 APD

Film gear:

• Nikon F3HP

• Fuji GW690

• Nimslo 3D

• Portra 400 and HP5+

Some of my favorites from this year:

Hello Timothy! Lovely work on your instagram. I love the pastel and bold colors you’re getting. How do you like the Mitakon? Been thinking about trading my 35mm f/1.4 for one.

Thanks Ian!

I sold my 35mm f/2 and got the Mitakon and haven’t missed it. I have it on the camera all the time. Everyone says this, but this lens has great character. I’m not sure how to describe it. People say that a lot about the 35mm f/1.4 too though, but I never used it.

If you are comfortable with manual focus, the Mitakon is pretty great. Wide open, it’s not super sharp, but it’s enough for me and of course it gets better stopped down. There’s a lot of chromatic aberration wide open too, but it doesn’t really bother me. Build quality is solid. The focus and aperture ring feel great to turn. The aperture ring is click-less though which I dislike, but useful for the video guys. It’s also pretty heavy (heavier than the 56mm).

If you do get it, I highly recommend zooming in to check focus every shot as I’ve missed a lot due to focus peaking not accurately highlighting the super shallow depth of field. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good to know, thanks. When I had the X-T1 initially, I was shooting the 35mm f/1.4 which I loved. I swapped for the f/2 when I got the X-H1, but it didn’t do a lot for me. It’s a totally capable lens, but it didn’t feel special in any way, lacking that “special characteristic” you mentioned. I sold that to go back to the f/1.4, but as I’m starting to shoot more video I’ve been more interested in the Mitakon. Your work with it is great, and thanks for